New year, new slate of writing contests! Some writers question the value in writing contests. Some of them are expensive, and what do you really get out of them? It’s a valid question, and I would advise anyone planning to enter a contest to consider these points:
- How prestigious is the contest?
- How much does it cost?
- How likely are you to win?
Entering every contest that comes up does not serve your writing reputation. Being selective and pinpointing those contests that are prestigious yet hold a real possibility for you to win can elevate your reputation, increase your exposure, and sometimes provide a significant financial reward. If you have the urge to participate in as many contests as possible, I recommend setting a budget for contests to encourage you to be more selective.
Are you thinking about entering a contest?
- Almond Press offers a curated list of competitions for 2016.
- Literary Mama provides a list of contests and other calls for submissions.
- New Pages is a perennial favorite for finding places to submit your work, with a dedicated page for contests.
Best of luck!
Like this blog? Find more insights and advice in Perfect Bound: How to Navigate the Book Publishing Process Like a Pro, available from POP Editorial Services LLC, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and other fine retailers.